Close Search

In the future you will receive one Universal Credit payment, which will be paid directly to you, or jointly to you and your partner (if you have one). It will be paid directly into your bank or building society account each month. If you don’t already have an account, find out how you can set up a free-basic bank/building society account. You’ll need to pay your rent each month from your Universal Credit payment. Click here for information on setting up a bank account.

Alternative payment arrangements

You can ask the Department for Work and Pensions to pay your rent directly to us if you’re in debt, have rent arrears, are struggling with money, have addictions, are experiencing domestic violence, have a disability including a mental health condition, have a learning difficulty or problems reading and writing, are 16 or 17 or leaving care. Ask for an ‘Alternative Payment Arrangement’ at your application interview at the JobCentre.